Monday, August 20, 2012

A Sewing Treasure

First posted at Ta-Da Creations

I had a few moments when I posted about the silk dupioni the other day, so did a quick stroll through blogland. Really more of a mad dash. As I dashed through a friend's blog roll I caught sight of a post title "Sewing  With History". The title did the trick, it caught my eye. The post was about her mom bringing back some vintage buttons from visiting a relative. Farther into the post she talks about this little treasure she found tucked in with her husband's grandmother's sewing machine. A log of EVERY SINGLE time she or someone else used her machine. Everything from mending a pillowcase to helping her daughter make a party dress for a high school dance. How precious is that? Oh how I wish I had done that through the years. The story it would tell. Can we even talk about how pristine that 38 year old machine looks? Amazing.

5 comments:

  1. Wow what a treasure,i have 2 antique machines and often wonder who first bought them and what was made on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I think I shall my log now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this link! What a wonderful record.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that a wonderful?
    My father loved trains, and traveled many a mile by rail. One of my most cherished possessions is a journal of every trip taken; where, when, who went and how many miles. I had no idea, and found it while cleaning out his desk. It brings back so many memories of family trips, special times, and many of his stories. Seeing his familiar handwriting is an even better gift. I never thought about doing it for all the miles my machine travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing. The closest thing I have is my book of recipes (now falling apart) where I also kept a record of dinner guests and menus. It goes back almost 40 years. All the years we didn't slow down to invite anyone over, it was nice to look at this and remember that at some point in our lives we were more sociable!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, I am so glad you chose to leave a comment. I love getting comments, questions and even just a friendly hello. I may not respond to every comment, but rest assured I read them all. Sometimes the comments and questions fuel new posts. So comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...