Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Are you a baster?


Not a turkey baster! Are you a person who during garment construction, hand bastes pieces before that final stitching?

I never used to be. A step I find myself doing more and more. I know, I hear so many of you saying, "I don't have time!" No so, because it takes me longer to pick it back out than to baste.



I timed it, it took FOUR minutes to baste this collar on. I marked the basting stitches with blue marker since it is tough to see the white on white. Not tiny stitches. It would take three times that much time to rip it back out, if I wasn't happy with it.

The reason I basted it is because on this little jacket, the high contrast binding is going to call attention to that closure at the neck. If there is a big ol' gap there, there will be no hiding it. When you pin, pin, pin, it distortes the seam line. Also I tend to bust needles way to often when hitting the pins. Thirdly, the presser foot pushes the fabric as it goes through the machine. No way around it. If I baste or glue it (as I do piping), it is not going to move on me under the foot. As it is, on the collar above, I ended up taking out part of the basting too. It makes no difference if my collars meet at the raw edge. No one is going to see that. They didn't meet at the SEAMLINE.  So pay close attention to where your seamline will be, that is where you want them to meet.

Parting shot:



Here is this dress on our star model.

16 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Dawn and I am a baster or as we from English speaking Commonwealth nations call it a tacker. I use cotton thread so it snaps easily to remove it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, like you Martha, am becoming more and more of a baster. My seam ripper and I are on a first name basis, but I prefer to only say it in passing. Cannot wait to see that jacket finished. Are you actually smocking the bishop to go with it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That jacket is going to be so cute! I do tend to baste much more now than I did when younger. As you say, it saves time and as we get a bit older, we appreciate the time much more.

    Your little granddaughter is a doll! She is sitting up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also baste a lot especially on something like this.
    When at all possible, I use steam-a-seam - usually when I need to match plaids or stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! I meant to comment on the most important part - the baby! She's a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always been a "pinner" BUT I can clearly see the benefits to basting! I am definitely going to try this on my next project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a baster too. I rely less and less on pins as time goes by. One velvet dress can turn you into a baster in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always skipped basting but lately when I started calling out loud for my BFF's ( my seam ripper) I realize I needed to go back to my A-Z sewing books and take alook at what I was doing wrong... French seams check, gathering check, basting?? oops now I baste and my BFF's are on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So here I am sitting on my break and reading this post. One of my friends walks by and starts gushing about the cute baby! She really is such a cutie! Love the round little cheeks:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That little girl is adorable!

    Do you wash your embroidery thread before you use it? Or do you find it doesn't bleed onto the fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually love to baste! What a difference it makes, too. I learned to sew from my mother and I can still hear her voice in my head, telling me to "baste, baste, baste"! I saw some Japanese thread at Waechter's specifically for basting. Thanks for reminding me that I need to order some!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That baby is just TOO cute for her own good!!

    No surprise to you that I baste! Much better than un-sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I baste occasionally. It depends on what I'm doing.
    Your baby girl is sooooooo cute! The dress is cuter than ever on her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Baste baste baste. So little time such great rewards. Susan VH

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hand baste now more than ever. Used to be *always* for sleeves and details--now it is often for long straight seams as well. (I never have believed in machine basting. If I could control the stitching with the machine, I wouldn't need to baste at all!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this picture! I'm so glad Evamarie can wear this since I didn't keep my promise to Robin and finish it for the twins.

    The bishop turned out so stinkin' cute, Martha! Evamarie is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, I am so glad you chose to leave a comment. I love getting comments, questions and even just a friendly hello. I may not respond to every comment, but rest assured I read them all. Sometimes the comments and questions fuel new posts. So comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...