Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Working my fingers




to the bone!!! No not really. I am at the point in the embroidery on the gown where I feel "almost" done so it seems to be taking forever to get done. I hate to even show pics at this point because to me it looks like a dishrag.



But here are a couple of peeks. Above is the dove worked in shadow work on the bodice.


In this picture is a glimpse of the shell,done in satin trailing that I took out three times. I am laying lots of hope on my magical wash and iron theory here. Looks a little sad to me. But it always does at this point. And the grapes and wheat are a combo of granitos, stem stitch, back stitch and split back stitch. THe embroidery is done in a combo of coton a broder and silk flosses. The fabric is silky voile I got from BessieMary.

A little church teaching; in the Catholic church there are three sacraments of what we call "initiation". The dove represents the Holy Spirit for the sacrament of Confirmation, the shell for the waters of Baptism and grapes and wheat for the Sacrament of Eucharist. It is one of my favorite things to do on a christening gown because in the Roman rite Baptism is the first of the three. Though I do think for the next gown I will stir the design up a bit. The is the third time for these and I want to mix it up some.

So there you have it, I am off to stitch some more. Want to get it done before we leave for the beach next week. Just wanted you to know I haven't forgotten you.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful work so far! I can't wait to see it all done!! You are a very talented woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Martha...wonderful work...and great teaching on our church. Wish I had time to create like you do!!
    Have fun at the 'beach'??where?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming along beautifully! I would love to spend a day watching you do your shadow work and granitos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. satin trailing is a new one on me. It's looking fantastic!

    As an aside, our Bishop decided to combine First Communion, and Confirmation, so kids 8 years old are being confirmed. Makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Martha, you asked me a question a few weeks ago about the pattern used for the boy's wee care gown. Your email came from a no-reply account, so I couldn't reply directly, and can't seem to find your direct email on your blog.
    The boy gown is a kimono pattern. I'm not sure where we got it. Another guild member actually cut these gowns out--I constructed them and did the smocking. I personally prefer the bishop pattern, but these kimono gowns offer a nice little area that takes minimal time to smock. If you'd like, I can find out what pattern was used--just let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, I am so glad you chose to leave a comment. I love getting comments, questions and even just a friendly hello. I may not respond to every comment, but rest assured I read them all. Sometimes the comments and questions fuel new posts. So comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...