Monday, April 13, 2009

Butterfly bishop-DONE!



Bishop for DD's boyfriend's Goddaughter is finished. I didn't take a picture of the panties. I used Children's Corner Bishop pattern, and Ellen's Watercolors from the 2008 Nov/Dec Issue of Creative Needle. Fabric is a pique.



Excuse the fact that my hanger is covered with tissue paper, I had to unwrap the dress again to take a picture of it. She had it packed and ready to take back to Louisiana today. Love puffed sleeves, love bishops. And really liked this plate. I will use it again. It was cute yet quick. Of course a bishop in a size 6 months is quick by nature.



Want your pleats to stand up nice? Use a pique so that you have to pack those buddies into the neckband. No self surviving pleat has room to lay over! I pleated this bishop with the seamless pleating method. I don't care how careful you are, how tiny your French seams are, when pleating a bishop, at least one of those seams are going to show and look chunky. I don't like chunky. I'm chunky enough without my bishop seams being chunky too.

I like it and I hope the baby's momma likes it too.

7 comments:

  1. The bishop is darling! I'm sure the lucky Mother will love it.

    Could you explain what you mean, or how to do, a seamless pleating method. I too hate for the sleeve seams to show, it takes away from the overall look of the garment. I hope this isn't a stupid question. I'm quite new at smocking and am soaking up all the information I can find.

    Judy in MO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy where in MO are you? By seamless pleating there are 2 ways to do, one just pleat all your pieces without sewing it together with no special prep. As you smock it, when you get to a "seam" skip 2 or 3 pleats on each piece when you take your next stitch. When you are finished, the seam allowances fall to the back. The other way is a bit more complicated. You have to un-thread and re-thread your pleater at each piece. I will do a post about it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seamless pleating. My first few bishops were done that way. Now I need to go back and do another that way soon. I have gotten really good at small seams on batiste, but any other thickness needs to be seamless pleated. I especially do it on corduroy. There are good instuctions on HS&S hidden... look on the webpage link and you can click on the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prescious little dress, Martha. I have yet to try the seamless method but so far no chunkies. A friend taught me to push those little seams into the groove and hold them there as you turn. Takes a lot of focus and luck! Will try your method next time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in SW Missouri, south of Joplin and just north of the Arkansas line, Pineville to be exact.

    I'll watch for your post. Thanks.

    Judy in MO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a precious little dress, Martha! I love this smocking plate and will use it again for my next bishop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone. I enjoyed stitching it.

    Judy, glad to find out where you are. You are very close to Springdale, AR that has a very active smocking chapter. Email me through my profile and I will get you more info.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, I am so glad you chose to leave a comment. I love getting comments, questions and even just a friendly hello. I may not respond to every comment, but rest assured I read them all. Sometimes the comments and questions fuel new posts. So comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...