Monday, August 4, 2008

Wee pursuits


I have a teeny Wee Care gown. I stitched this almost completely on the way back from the fairgrounds. So you can stitch a Wee Care gown in four hours or less. This gown uses the Grady gown pattern developed by the Atlanta chapter for Grady Memorial Hospital. There is no bias neckband. It is done by adding 1 inch to the top of each piece and then pressing over 1 inch before pleating. The smocking is stitched about 3/4" inch below the folded edge through all layers. This catches the fabric that has been pressed to the back. A ribbon is then run through the casing that is left when the stitching is complete and the pleating threads are removed. It is not may favorite look, but it gives a lot a leeway in dressing a tiny baby because the ribbon casing is adjustable. This is the gown pattern that my chapter uses to supply Wee Care gowns to Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital. This alteration could be made to any bishop really. There are additional Wee Care patterns on the SAGA website at http://www.smocking.org/weecare_program.php

I love Wee Care!

5 comments:

  1. Cute! I love the colors in the smocking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I love blue and yellow. I wouldn't normally use yellow in a Wee Care but got carried away this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha...precious!!! That is the pattern that our hospital requests too. I have learned to love it...plus no bias neck binding to attach. The colors on your are adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks guys, I like this pattern but at the same time I don't. I may like it better if I cut some out using a pinking blade instead of a straight blade. the thread fuzzies make me nuts. But then that is not a far trip anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, I am so glad you chose to leave a comment. I love getting comments, questions and even just a friendly hello. I may not respond to every comment, but rest assured I read them all. Sometimes the comments and questions fuel new posts. So comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...